It’s a new year, and what better time to review the safety and security policies you have in place at your business? Today, we’re going to talk about one of the most overlooked (yet most critical) safety and security concerns for businesses: safe mail handling! We’ll share several tips to ensure your mail handling practices are up to snuff, protecting you, your employees, your customers, and your business in the process.
10 Safe Mail Handling Tips for Your Business
- Streamline your mail handling operations to one area of your business. Keep the number of people who take on this task to a minimum, and ensure initial mail sorting is done by hand.
- Ensure the areas of your business that store mail and other sensitive data are restricted areas that only authorized personnel can access.
- Keep detailed records of every person (including employees and visitors) who enters and exits your business.
- Develop a unique screening process for incoming mail and ensure all personnel who needs to be is trained on this process.
- Use lock and key controls for your mail room, as well as separate mail boxes.
- Install CCTV throughout your business, ensuring there is clear visuals (including good lighting) to every area.
- Create a plan for dealing with potential threats or hazards related to mail (and other business hazards, of course)
- Train yourself and your team how to identify suspicious packages.
- Make sure mail handlers are equipped with safe mail handling gear, including gloves, masks, smocks, and protective glasses.
- Hold regular training sessions for your mail room, security, and management team members.
Other Ways to Protect Your Business
These tips are a good place to start, but they are just guidelines. Be sure to cater your safe mail handling tactics to your unique business, and ensure you have comprehensive plans in place.
As the Department of Homeland Security explains:
“Safe mail handling covers a broad spectrum and various approaches can be taken to provide security. There is no “one size fits all” solution for safe mail handling. Each operation must incorporate security measures that best mitigate the risk associated with each unique facility.”
Another way to protect yourself is with business insurance from Fargo Moorhead Insurance. Learn more about the commercial insurance solutions we offer here.